After my period finishes I wait about a day. Then, I set aside time for a spa day for my vagina through a ritual called yoni steaming. This is absolutely one of my favorite selfcare rituals.
Many healers and midwives having been utilizing vaginal steaming for centuries. It is a beautiful way to connect with your cycle and honor your feminine energy. Yoni steaming brings blood flow and warmth to the super absorbant vaginal tissue. Through the use of different herbs we can support and nourish our reproductive organs.
What You Need:
- A Steam Stool – This is what I have, but you can also try this
- Herbs – These are what I’m using right now
- These herbs support urinary and reproductive organs: Red Raspberry Leaf, Juniper, Motherwort, Peony, and Dong Quai.
- Other herbs to consider are Oregano, Basil, Marigold, Rosemary, Chamomile, Damiana, Plantain, Yarrow, Witch Hazel, Yarrow, Cedar Berries, Rose, Basil, Lavender, Garden Sage, Peppermint and Lemon Balm
- All have their own unique qualities and intentions
- Do not use essential oils
What To Do:
- Schedule a time (minimum 1 hour).
- Gather your materials ahead of time.
- When the time has come, turn off your phone, turn on some music, and set your intention for this sitting. Your intention is usually discovered through reflections while menstruating.
- Choose 1-5 herbs for your steam or a premade herb blend like the one mentioned above.
- Place the herbs in room temperature water in a pot and let sit for about half an hour. Think of this as their transition time.
- 1 qt. fresh herb or 1 cup dry
- Then, bring to a simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes.
- While simmering, I prepare the area in which I will sit and steam. I usually have music on and candles lit. I also have a journal and/or a book close by.
- When steamed water is ready, transfer to a steel or glass bowl (my preference) to avoid burning yourself.
- You will need to undress completely from the bottom down. I undress completely and wear a robe.
- Sit on stool and wrap yourself in towels if you are not in a big robe. Create a small vent if needed.
- Sit and steam for 20 minutes.
- When you are done, stay warm for at least the next day (24 hours) and give yourself time and space to reflect (journal, meditation, movement).
- My favorite is this super simple prompt that includes releasing those things or people that are disturbing your peace, extending a branch of gratitude, and calling in your desires.
- I also choose to give the herbs and water back to the earth
This is my process and what I do. I’m interested to hear if you have a different set-up or process. Reminder: you are responsible for your body so please don’t burn yourself. At no point should your skin be touching the pot in which you simmer the herbs, and please do not steam while you are on your period.
Again, this is one of my favorite selfcare rituals. Give yourself time and space to embrace it fully. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Lindsey Mathews, CEO BIRTHFIT@lindsey_k_mathews
P.S. If you are postpartum, yoni steaming is also a brilliant way to enhance the healing process. Check out this blog from Steamy Chick.