I Got Hemorrhoids: Tips to Heal and Provide Relief
Hemorrhoids are a sign of pelvic floor dysfunction. Your pelvic floor consists of three layers of muscles — superficial perineal layer, deep urogenital diaphragm layer, and pelvic diaphragm. Anything that affects these layers is known as a pelvic floor dysfunction. Hemorrhoids like to make their appearance during pregnancy or immediately postpartum due to swelling and increased pressure on veins in the anus and/or lower rectum. If you are looking at external hemorrhoids with a handheld mirror, they may look like red swollen bubbles. They are anything but comfortable and pleasant.
Here are some of our tips to heal hemorrhoids and provide a bit of relief:
- Diaphragm breathing — Taking 5 to 10 minutes in the morning and evening to connect with your breath is critically important for healing.
- High bear — Diaphragm breathing while in High Bear pose. Perform 5 to 10 breaths for 3 sets.
- Squatty Potty — How you poop matters.
- Witch hazel padsicles — These may offer temporary relief.
- Stay hydrated — LMNT supplements may help. And THORNE has great supplement options. Consult your healthcare provider.
- Get help —
- Schedule an appointment with a pelvic floor PT that does internal work.
- Schedule an appointment with an acupuncturist.
- Get adjusted. Make sure you’re getting checked and adjusted by a chiropractor so that your nervous and musculoskeletal systems are functioning optimally.
- Avoid sitting for extended periods of time.
If you have any tips to heal and provide relief for hemorrhoids that worked for you, please let us know. We love to share and pass on pearls of wisdom as there are no two pregnancies or immediate postpartum periods that look the same. Hopefully one of these options will offer you some relief.
Lindsey Mathews, DC@BIRTHFIT @lindsey_k_mathews
Get Started Below
Online Programs: https://birthfit.com/programs/online/