Breastfeeding & Training
Breastfeeding and Training.
Does training while breastfeeding diminish your milk supply?
This question comes up a lot for my avid athletes, marathoners, and crossfitters. It is completely safe and quite normal to exercise while breastfeeding. However, you will need to mange nutrition and your workout schedule in the early stages, so that everything falls into place nicely.
Just as we had to find a nutrition plan that worked for each individual preconception and/or during pregnancy that is exactly what you have to do during the postpartum breastfeeding months. Each new mom is different and varies in her nutritional needs. These are a few of the tips that I give to everyone regardless of their situation:
- Morning Routine. Drink lots of water and eat something as soon as you wake up.
- Breastfeed or pump often. This increase in demand is said to keep the milk flowing.
- Pump before your workout. No one wants a heavy chest while working out. In fact, it can be quite uncomfortable and miserable.
- Hydrate. I cannot say this enough. When you think you have consumed enough water, then drink more. Breastfeeding and working out requires A LOT of water.
- EAT. The biggest characteristic I hear from moms that breastfeed while working out is that they are always hungry. Therefore, eat a lot. Prepare food so that you have snacks ready. Eat nutrient dense food: protein, fat, and carbohydrates.
- Eat protein two to three hours before working out. Eating protein before the workout will enhance the recovery and stimulate protein synthesis post workout. Proteins are the building block of life.
- Eat carbohydrates within 30 to 90 minutes of working out. At this time your body is ready to receive and store carbohydrates. Think potatoes, yams, or dried fruits.
- Fenugreek is a small plant/herb that promotes milk in lactating women.
- Supplementation could definitely be needed. Of course fish oil (ORIGINAL Nutritionals) but also a BCAA supplement or a non-whey protein powder may help with recovery.
- Proper support is crucial: lululemon tata tamer.
- Find a lactation consultant near you.
AMRAP 20 min.
10 Box jumps (or step ups)
5 Hang Power Clean (65-95#)
10 Box Jumps (or step ups)
5 Hang Power Clean (45-65#)
10 Step Ups
5 Hang Power Cleans (PVC-45#)
- If barbell does not feel comfortable, then use KB or DB.
- A 400m (or 200m) run may be substituted for the row.